December 30, 2013

Early Christmas Gift

The last post I had on my pregnancy (and this blog) I had taken my 33 week photo. I had totally planned to try and take a picture a week from then on out. (Yes, I'd planned on taking a photo a week, but somehow that did not happen.) My last pregnancy photo was taken during Thanksgiving when I was 35 weeks pregnant.

One of the few times I actually was able to wear this shirt and not over heat.
Fairly early on in this pregnancy I did not see myself making it all the way to 40 weeks. Every time I said this to someone they always asked why I felt that way, and I never had a very good reason. I just had a feeling that I wouldn't make it all the way to the end of December with the baby. I was sure that this baby would make his appearance around Christmas break. 

I was sort of right in that my little Monkey (his name on this blog) wouldn't be making it to his due date, but completely wrong about when he'd show up!

A little past my 36 week mark I woke up at 1AM to what I later realized was the beginning of contractions. The contractions just didn't hurt all that much, and work was really taking a lot out of me physically by then. I first thought I was just tired and achy. An hour passed of me trying to figure out if I needed to wake up my husband or not. By 2 AM  I finally decided it was time to wake up my husband from his sleep. I told him it was about my pain and that I'd thought it was time to head to the hospital.

I was convinced that the hospital would tell me that what was happening was nothing, and would send me back home. I was already planning that, if the hospital sent me home in the wee hours of the morning, I'd use a sick day to recover. (Obviously, all my instincts about what was happening were completely wrong.) By 3 AM it had been confirmed by the hospital that I was indeed in labor. Both John and I phoned and texted our respective jobs letting them know that we were definately having a baby, and don't expect us in that day. (I texted first since calling my principal at 3 AM wasn't exactly a good idea. John later confirmed with her at a slightly more decent time.)

By 6 AM I was having contractions and they coming on very strong and on top of each other. I wimped out quickly and asked for an epidural. Some women can handle the pain. I could not. After the epidural I became so tired that I slept almost all day. I was finally woken up and told it was time to push in the early evening. After being in the hospital and in labor for 18 hours our little Monkey made his way into the world on a Thursday evening.

Our little Monkey is now almost one month old. (I really can't believe I just wrote that. It feels like a blur of time and not almost one month.) John and I have been enjoying our time caring for him and watching him grow during his first few weeks of life. He's the cutest little boy I've ever had the privilege of knowing. I can't believe that he's ours to know and love for the rest of his life. 

Happy due date, Little Monkey. We love that you're our Christmas present this year. You're the best present we could have ever asked for. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...